Choose Your Language

Friday 2 April 2010

Scotney Castle

Thank-you to everybody who responded to last week's blog with their own puzzle-related stories. I spent some time finishing off the puzzles coding this week. I still have a little more to do, but should finish it next week and will then start moving on with area design and general building of the module, which may mean the overall speed of progress will increase.

Database Issue

In the process of designing the puzzles, I came across a problem with the NWN database facility. Depending upon how you name your variables to store data, it can cause quite a serious problem. I made a post on the forums and if you ever use the database facility, you can read more about it here. I also provide a workaround for the problem in that thread.

Inspiration: Scotney Castle

Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to go out with my wife and her parents to visit Scotney Castle. I don't get out very often due to illness, but this day went reasonably well and I was able to take some photos of the visit. The buildings and grounds were a pleasure to see and their antiquity reminded me of some of the buildings in my own module. The first shot below, in particular, reminded me of the Borantan Church the PCs will have the chance to visit near the beginning of the adventure. The following pictures are just a sample of the many that can be seen from this link. (I soon discovered I was not allowed to use flash indoors and so the majority of the indoor shots are taken without flash and some suffer slight bluriness because of it.) I hope you enjoy them as much as I did and they help to inspire ....








If only my own area designs looked as good as these .... ;)

2 comments:

Kamal said...

There's no building that looks like that ingame, but you do do the last picture I think, with one of the church buildings as a stand in. Some ruins placeables and use plenty of shrubs, there are some climbing vines available too.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Kamal,

I thought the first building did look a little like one of my buildings ... but I may be biased. ;)

Lance.