Choose Your Language

Sunday 25 April 2010

Prefab Research

Just a quick report this week to say I have been continuing my research into prefabs that I will be using with the module. I have continued to find other work by SGK73 that I will be using and hope to find other material as I continue to look around. Looking at these areas does help to encourage one into action.

Background: The Life Magik Stream

I have also started work on another concept this week. It helps form the basis of the main adventure and continues to develop the Life Magik system. Its idea is similar to the Realm of Shadow in play. Here is an introduction to the idea (that I hope to have in a game manual), which is also something the PC's will learn about as they continue their adventure:
The Life Magik Stream is the means by which all magik flows through the
different universes. It is a continuous invisible force that acts like a river
flowing with many tributaries into every area of life. Those with the knowledge,
can tap into its neverending source and are able to do both wonderful and
terrible things. Whether directly, or with divine help, there are those that
use its power either to create or destroy. Remnants of the stream, mere
droplets, can be found by those who know what to look for. These are known as the Life Essence.

I took my inspiration for the idea from two sources. The first was from the original System Shock's Cyberspace and the second from reading Robon Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Mix the two ideas together, add a little Althéa campaign and you have the Life Magik stream. I hasten to add that this concept is NOT the same as these ideas, but like any idea, does share similarities. Another example of trying to express the concept is to recall the effect in the Lord of the Ring films when Frodo puts on the ring and enters the shadowy realm of the wraiths. Again, my idea has similarities to this, but is NOT the same.

Robin Hobb Blog

In my search for a link to show the work by Robin Hobb, I came across her own blog. I have added it to my list of blogs for anybody else interested in her work.

2 comments:

Eguintir Eligard said...

Why did you choose to mispell magic for this concept? Not that I object at all, I find using the biblical word manna is ridiculous when it's basically bug feces that was used as food. Just wondering.

Make sure you use all the prefabs you can; I think their authors would have a fit if they read people saying they are not using their prefabs on purpose just in case someone else has ;) and I could use another play campaign to play sooner than later.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

I have to disagree with your belief that manna was "bug feces". As a Christian, I believe it was a miracle of God providing wholesome substance to eat and sustain the Jews as they fled Egypt. If it was something as simple as feces, the Jews would have said as much and not promoted it as a miracle of God.

Anyway, to answer your main point, I spell magik with a "k" to differentiate it from "normal magic" used in spells. Check out this blog entry: http://worldofalthea.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-era-3-essences-of-life-magik.html

I hear you about the prefabs ... and I certainly will. :) I would be delighted to have feedback from you when I finally get it released. :)

Lance.