Choose Your Language

Tuesday 30 December 2008

Auto-Pause Combat (LB) Released For NWN2 Campaigns

UPDATE (06/01/09): This code has now been updated to work for all NWN2 official campaigns.

A reader to this blog read about my combat auto-pause facility that I have coded for my own module and asked if I could do something similar for SoZ. And so, this evening, I decided to take a look at my scripts and managed to put something together. It is not quite as refined as the one used in my own module, as I did not want to add a tlk file and had to rely on changing only one script within SoZ. However, after testing it, I have found it works fine and so uploaded it to the Vault. It is awaiting approval, but I hope other players (who like my group enjoy turn-based combat), will find it a useful addition. As soon as the Vault has approved its entry, I will add a link to it on my blog sidebar.

Hopefully, my friend and I will be able to make use of the code for our own SoZ gaming experience as well now. ;)

Combat Auto-Pause - SoZ can now be downloaded from here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, your auto-pause script makes playing the SOZ campaign much more enjoyable for me. If its possible, I was wondering if you could release a version for the original and MOTB campaigns, or point me in the right direction of how to implement it myself. I am hardly an 'old school' D&Der, but definitely enjoy slower, more tactical battles. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Oh and my email is zebgat@gmail.com.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Spof,

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Now that the function has been released, I see no reason why the same code cannot be used for both of these other modules as well. I will check out their HB scripts and do a quick test. If it works, I will upload a version to the Vault.

Lance.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks Lance, with the update I can actually enjoy the other campaigns again. As I learn more about scripting, I might start looking into making a true turn based script or module - there's alot of if's involved, but I'll make sure to let you know if I get anywhere.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Spof,

I spent many years rewriting the original NWN1 to have turn-based scripting. My campaign alos used a unique magic system so it could not be released. At the time, it involved many conversation menus that allowed a player to coordinate attacks from each PC they controlled during a round. The hardest part was keeping track of spells to that do damage each round. I did manage it, but it was a massive task, and there were still a number of spells I had not dne (I only added them as my players got them).

When (and if) you start to do it, you will find there are *many*considerations to take into place, because turn-based is exactly that ... people take combat in turns rather than a pause every few seconds like this hak does. When NWN2 came out, I made the decision not to bother with turn-based coding again, as it took so much time that it stifled other areas I wanted to do.

That said, there is much more you can now do with NWN2, and so let me know if you get anywhere. :)

Lance.