Choose Your Language

Monday 8 May 2023

Episode 74: The Three Stages!

Apart from running into a handful of strange scripting situations over the last month, I did also manage to make some progress with the second module. As I pondered what remained to be done, I realised this time around that the module will play out over three stages. Let's now take a look at how things currently stand.

Scripting Weirdness

To begin with, I just wanted to note (for the record) that I have had one or two strange issues of late, which, on the surface of it, appear to be related to scripting. First, my escape key appears to randomly stop working in game now and then. Secondly, I have had scripts that should work fail. E.g. I have a script that randomly fails on an object that works fine on other instances of the same object. Thirdly, I have had a couple of scripts that failed to work, only to suddenly start working! So, either I am going through a particularly bad month for concentration and bodged something somewhere (which is quite possible), or my computer is playing up (I have had a couple of other minor issues outside the toolset), or lastly, NWN2 is giving me a bit of a runaround of late. I'll keep an eye open for these moving forward, and update readers if I can ever explain any of these.

The Three Stages

The above issues aside, I have still been making gradual progress with the second module. It was while I was reviewing what remained to be done that I realised that this second module could, arguably, be split into three stages, or chapters. For my own design purposes, I won't be using chapter denotations. Notably, however, now that the three stages have become clear to me, it does mean I can concentrate on finishing the first stage, to allow my wife to alpha test that part while I continue to work the on later stages.

The Beginning (Stage 1):  

As to be expected, the first stage of this second module takes place immediately after the player finishes The First Day, the first module in my NWN2 campaign, The Scroll. Subject to how the player starts their game, however, determines how this second module opens. Ultimately, however, the PC begins their journey into the lands beyond their home village, New Edgeton, from which they finally managed to escape in the first module.

This first stage still requires finishing the overland map and some new areas recently added to it. It was as a result of comparing this first stage to the latter two, that I realised it lacked one or two events required to balance it compared to the module's later stages. The decision to expand this first stage has turned out to be a bonus, however, as it meant I could expand the story slightly and add some gaming elements, while redressing the weight of the overall adventure at the same time. As I mention above, it meant I had to add a few more areas, which added time. However, to prevent too much time spent on further development, I made the decision to grab some pre-fab areas (or some of those areas designed by other builders), to rework for my module needs. I still needed to design one interior area, but this area is nearly finished now. I currently continue to concentrate on getting this stage complete.

The Journey (Stage 2): 

While even the beginning stage requires the PC to explore their immediate surroundings, and travel across many miles, the world (and current adventure) does not, and will not, end there. In the gameplay of stage one, the PC will learn more about the world and their role in it. This eventually leads the player to recognise they need to head farther afield to where stage two takes place.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but suffice to say, the PC now enters a new region with new adventures and experiences as they continue with their overall goal they learned in stage one. This second stage is already well fleshed out with areas and quests, and apart from finishing a couple of larger quests, is mostly done.

The Ending (Stage 3): 

Eventually, there comes a point that is reached that clearly denotes the beginning of the second module's third and final end stage. Note, however, that just because the PC begins this third and final stage, it does not mean that the PC will not have further dealings with any previous stages of the module.

Of all the stages, this third stage is still the one that requires the most work, as it is also the section that introduces a unique game-play system. The core of this system is already setup, but its execution still requires some careful attention. Suffice to say, I am hoping it will add a whole new level of interest and challenge for the player by the time their PC reaches this third stage of the module.

Stages Moving Forward

The point I am trying to make is that each stage of this second module can be defined clearly from the point of view of work outstanding and, more importantly, when it can be given access to testing. What this now means is that I finally have a plan of action to help bring this module to completion. My aim is to try to concentrate on each stage starting from the first and ending with the last, in order, so I can have each stage alpha-tested as I work on the next. As soon as I have each stage finished to testing point, I'll hand it over to my wife to test and let readers of this blog know.

And to mark this stage of development, and with three being the theme, here are three screenshots from the stage I am currently working on:

Is there A Swamp Monster Here?

Yes! There Is!

A Puzzle Perhaps?

No comments: