Choose Your Language

Saturday 4 February 2023

Episode 71: The Warts and All!

It was Oliver Cromwell, the devout puritan, who first coined the phrase that we still use today, when he said that his portrait must be painted showing his "warts and all". I carefully use the term now to say that my own module, The Scroll, can now be seen being played in its latest form to date. This public viewing of the module is being played by Travus, who, in my opinion, is an expert player. He is doing a great job of putting the module through its paces and revealing both the module's strengths, and, of course, the occasional "warts" that may still need addressing. Let's take a look at the latest ...

WARNING: Potential Spoilers!

Now, if you hope to play my module at any time, then you may wish to avoid taking a look at these videos beyond the first two, as the path you take may be very different to that which Travus has taken. In fact, arguably, even the first video has Travus taking a potential different path to that I have known other player's to take. However, Travus prepares his videos so well, that they are a delight to watch. His voice acting brings both the PCs and NPCs to life, and he gives great consideration to all the actions he takes. Put succinctly, he is the exact type of player I appreciate, and one I hope is enjoying playing my module as much as my wife and I are enjoying watching his play through of it.

Warning aside, if you want to see how Travus is doing, and don't mind seeing potential plot lines that would differ from your own choices, then do take a look at his videos and be sure to "like" his work. Maybe it will encourage you to take a closer look at the module yourself? After all, I have confessed in the past that The Scroll is not for the casual player, and requires a player's time investment to fully appreciate. Travus demonstrates exactly how to approach the module, and hopefully, seeing some of the gameplay in action by someone who knows what is required will be helpful and encouraging to watch.

So, if you are interested, here is the link to the list of videos at the excellent AhTravesty YouTube site, which have been released and are available to date. I believe Travus is aiming to release a new episode every other day; so be sure to come back and keep up to date if watching.

Warts Being Removed!

If you take a look at the videos, just bear in mind that any "warts" (that is "bugs"), that you may witness in any of them will have been removed already, or will be removed as soon as I can do so. A few minor typos and grammatical errors will likely still remain, but with the help of another tester, Dustin, I am aiming to address as many of these as I can over the weeks or months ahead too. The most important gaming bugs, however, reported by any testers, will be addressed as soon as I can, and an update released for all players and testers alike. So far, all the latest updates have only needed to address a few minor glitches, and have actually better served to add new content rather than address any severe bug. For example, the latest update (v1.94E) adds improvements to the familiar GUI. (See screenshot below.)

Module Two News!

Again, I want to assure everyone that the second module for the campaign is still in development. Importantly, please remember that any bug fixes for the first module, and any new content that gets added to it is also an update and progress for the second module. Therefore, if you are a player who ends up playing and enjoying my first module, and have something you would like to see in module two, then do let me know. As an example, the improved inventory and familiar GUIs were as a result of watching Travus's style of play in his videos.

TWO NEW AREAS: I am currently working on a plot that involves vampires, which regular readers of this blog will already know to expect in the next module. It was while working on this quest that I realised I was going to need a couple more areas, again! These have now been created, and I am writing new conversation lines based upon the plot that involves these two new areas.

Again, I am very excited to report that I believe I have come up with an interesting plot line that will have the player wondering what may be transpiring, before solving the mystery involved. Of late, I have been quite determined to add an extra step of wonder (that I hope won't confuse the player at the time), which may help to make the quest a memorable one. Sorry that I cannot go into more detail.

Moving forward, I hope to have this quest finished by the next blog release, and, hopefully, I will be able to update you on what I move onto by then. Apart from addressing any "warts" of module one that any of the testers or players bring me, it will most likely involve writing more conversations. 

Until next time, maybe watch a video or two, or leave some comments. Feedback is what helps move a project forward.

Aeriol Choosing A Familiar!

No comments: