Choose Your Language

Monday 17 January 2022

Episode 57: From Paper To Computer!

I have to confess that while I have done a reasonable amount of coding since I last reported, it's still hard for me to say exactly what I have done that will sound exciting to you, as the reader. That's the reason I have not posted anything earlier this year. However, I do have some information, so treat this post as a general update with a couple of screenshots thrown in rather than anything with much specific detail. Read on ...

And Yet Still More Areas

Even though I said there was not much to report, I can quickly add that I recently added three new areas (all interiors). One was a rehash of an official campaign area, which I believe I have altered enough to give it a fresh feel. The NPCs encountered and the objects to be found there are obviously new. The other two areas are being built afresh, as their design demands it. I knew these areas were needed, but I only started them a week ago and they still have quite a bit of work to do. These are all areas I need for the conversion of my PnP scenario I wrote about three decades ago!

The PnP Conversion

I am starting to realise that there are both pros and cons when converting an old PnP scenario into an adventure in NWN2. PROS: The plot is already written and comes with map designs, encounters and gameplay ideas all ready to implement. CONS: Making the design match the original with the toolset is difficult. Also, in my case, my old notes are verbose (I wrote more back in PnP days), and they require "tightening" for the new medium. Puzzles from the PnP have to be coded into NWN2 script and XML, and "paper handouts" need to be converted to "readable" books and scrolls in the module.

This PnP scenario currently being translated into a NWN2 module is called Bloodstone College and is one of three I am converting from my original PnP material. This one is by far the largest of the three, and requires the most work. For instance, I have managed to incorporate most of the material of the other two scenarios into the second module already (with some final scripts to finish off), but this one is complex enough that it could stand alone as a separate module. For those who have played my first module, I would say it is as complex as The Halls of the Goblin Kings. That is, the quest should last a few gaming sessions alone, but should be rewarding for the player who enjoys a mystery involving undead. Now I've said too much already!

Code Improvements

I know this is an ongoing exercise for me as I write the second module, but I still think it's worth reporting to potential players. For instance, improvements to old code this time around has included, automatons and containers. Automaton code: This now works more efficiently alongside the core monster AI code, after I managed to remove the need to recreate the automatons. Basically, as I have understood NWN script more, so the old code is fixed to work more efficiently. Container code: This is an interesting development (at least as I see it), because I was finally able to remove the area of official code that spammed the window upon acquiring a new item. Due to the way I allocated items to special containers, a broken NWN function duplicated "acquired new item" when it was not meant to. In the past, I just put up with this and minimised it wherever possible. However, recently, I finally worked out how I could bypass the official function in one area of the code and bypass the broken function in another area, thereby removing all references to acquiring an item. It involved an XML edit, and writing a new callback, but the end result is that I now control when the player is told they have received a new item. UPDATE: Changed again to use existing xml and new function.

Module 1 v1.50E Coming Soon!

As a final comment for this post, I can report that the latest v1.50E version of module one is in last stages of SP testing. MP testing is already completed, and load times improved. The final testing stages are also making sure all the latest gameplay updates reported in the last few posts are working without any glitches. I am particularly pleased with the combined results of the latest journal/task update alongside the container update (mentioned above), which now means chat window text spamming has been totally eliminated. This latest version also benefits from all the other updates reported in previous posts, including the "fast map travel" and the "enemy counter", as well as the new task GUI and new container code. Add that to a couple of improved area designs (made larger in places) and a general overall improvement to area designs for load times efficiency and v1.50E should be something special and definitely prepares the way for module two!

Now the two screenshots ... The first is one my wife wanted me to include (which she found amusing) showing a combat she had in the first module where one of her party was enlarged and was fighting next to her other much smaller halfling. The second is a screenshot from module two showing a new banner I managed to include.

The Little & Large Show!

The Sanctuary of Narmor (Night Sun)!


No comments: