Choose Your Language

Thursday 19 March 2020

Episode 27: How Do You Like Your Game Served Sir?

Another week and another blog, but a little different this week. This week serves as the divider for me about what has been done (module 1) and what still remains (module 2 plus). To mark this event I wanted to take a step back and look at the whole gamut of what makes an RPG again. I do have news on module two and a new screenshot, but this post is as much about the RPG itself than just my module specifically. So, what am I talking about? Read on ...

The Game Is Over!

Well, actually, only module one is now "over", as I have now made a final v1.21E upload that should mark the end of all patches and upgrades to it. My wife has now played through the module about eight times via various paths and I think between us we have now found everything. Bottom line now: Unless someone reports a game-breaking bug (or I happen to discover anything), this module is complete ... finished ... done ... baked! So please, download it and enjoy it. I should point out that it is what I would call a TRUE RPG, in that there is plenty of "player agency" (see next) and decisions to be made by the player. You will need to think about what you intend to do, as there will be consequences. It is not designed for the casual player!

Medium Rare or Well Done?

Having started to concentrate more on module two again, I was reminded of all those aspects of the design that I like to include for a player. As I thought of this, I also recognised that there is quite a bit of difference between the types of modules out there. There are those like mine, which cater to the more hard-core "challenges" and "tactical" player, down to the more "linear" style and "casual" player.

As it happens, I quite enjoy most styles, but I do think how a game is presented can make a difference to ones own approach to it. For instance, if I pick up a game labelled an "RPG", I would expect such a game to allow me to develop my PCs as I wanted to, and be able to explore the game areas subject to what skills and abilities I developed as a party of adventurers. Sure, there will be some limited access to certain areas to begin with, but with a recognition that if I should increase a certain skill, I would then be able to go in a certain direction of my "choosing". However, if a game requires little "input" from me (as a player) with respect to direction or tactics, or limits access to new places by plot consideration only, then, personally, I would consider that more akin to an "adventure" game than an RPG. Note, however, they both deliver a story (the meat of the game), but in very different styles (cooking).

Player Agency

Basically, what I just described above is about a game mechanics concept referred to as "player agency". I am NOT the first to coin the phrase, but I do appreciate what is meant by it and believe builders and players (especially of NWN mods) should be more aware of its influence when considering the type of game they either like to play, or even build. The issue we have with NWN (both 1 and 2) is that in its original design and release, it is very much an RPG. However, the toolset is very flexible (even if an awkward beast at times), and unless a builder keeps player agency in mind (on behalf of the player), then we end up with modules that while may still fun to play (if you like other styles of games like "adventure" games), are not, strictly speaking, RPGs! i.e. Just because a module is built using the NWN toolset, does not automatically mean you are going to end up building (or playing) an RPG.

I hope I have not offended anybody by saying this, as that is not my agenda. As I stated above, personally, I enjoy most styles of games built with the NWN toolset, from the more "linear" style to the more "sandbox" offerings. I simply wanted to highlight that some players will be expecting higher player agency from a module advertised as an RPG, or simply just because it is as a module built using the NWN toolset.

Player Agency Examples

So let's look at some real in game examples that differentiate the gaming styles ...

1) PC DEVELOPMENT: This is one of the clearest guidelines to help determine what style of game you are building or playing. If the game does not support multiple classes and races, and/or the ability for the player to develop their skills over the course of the game, then it lacks player agency. Note: Games that alter a PC on your behalf (or severely limit your choices as a player), have less player agency than those that do not restrict such development.

2) ATTRIBUTES, FEATS & SKILLS: On the back of the first point, if the game or module does not offer many aspects of gameplay that test any skills or attributes that you are "developing" for your party as a player, then it lacks player agency. For example, even if you can develop/level a character, if there is nowhere the attribute or skill will be of much use, then it lacks player agency. If a game offers only one or two diplomacy type check in its entire course, then it does not (should not) qualify as an RPG. I would consider that "lip service" only.

3) COMBAT CHALLENGE: Connected closely to the above points, a game that does not offer any challenge in combat, and where equipment and statistics make little difference, lacks player agency. I experienced this when I played MS "Dungeon Siege". I could actually walk away from the game and know that I would win a combat irrespective of my input or lack thereof. NB: It was not a "bad" game for this, but it did disappoint some of my expectations. Once I had accepted the gameplay for what it was, I eventually finished the story anyway.

4) THE WORLD ECONOMY: Surprisingly, but perhaps not to everyone, I am quickly disheartened upon finding vendors in a game that sell every super item one could ever expect to find. It makes treasures, equipment and all related choices simply subject to how much gold I can horde. Games or modules that swamp a player with such goods has effectively robbed a player of an area of gameplay: improving their capabilities with equipment. Furthermore, just because the item is expensive and I cannot afford it as a PC, does not make it a player agency potential. Rather, it trivialises the items in a game.

5) LOCKED DOORS & CHESTS: If there are no doors or chests to find locked, which can be unlocked with a PC with the skill, then the module lacks player agency in this area too. NOTE: I enjoy discovering doors that require a certain key (and I use them in my design too), but they should be the exception when referring to locked doors rather than the norm. If every locked door requires a key, then it is an "adventure" style game and not an RPG.

Well Done Please!

The bottom line is to report that module two is being designed with the same level of player agency as The Scroll module one has. In other words, it is being designed in such a way that the player drives the game forward, rather than the game leading you along a determined path. That's not to say there isn't a definite story, which there certainly is! The difference is, the path you take will determine how the story turns out for you and what your party will be like at the end of your game. Did you build all your party, take some companions, change the way the party developed, etc? This is my preferred style of game design: A true RPG!

That said, because I am just one man, I am limited to how much material and direction I can add, and the various paths I do write in take more time to prepare than if I was writing for a more casual linear style game. The game still has to work as a cohesive whole, no matter how you (as a player) approach it ... and one of my other design concepts is to ensure the game plays as if you found the true path, irrespective of the path you end up playing. Furthermore, the path should appear clear to you, whichever path you end up deciding to try first.

Rest assured though, whatever choice you make will have to be supported by other choices you make for you and your party. If you lack a thief, how will you bypass a lock? Do you have a wizard with Knock, or maybe a fighter can bash down a door? Will you buy a new weapon or save gold by making a repair yourself because you have the skill to? Will you simply keep saving the gold to be able to afford to do some crafting, or offer it at an altar for increased benefits now? Basically, there are many choices in the World of Althéa and it requires a conscientious player to find their path through it. Are you up for the task?

For the record, I had to make another area for module two .... ;)

The Heroes Finally Make It To Boran!






No comments: