Choose Your Language

Saturday 11 January 2020

Episode 22: May The Force Field Not Stop You!

With the toolset issues behind me, I am now able to push forward with the creation of module two of The Scroll with more ease. Especially in the department of working with sounds and VFXs. I am not an expert in this area at all, but find I am able to rework some of those VFXs that others have made or come with the toolset already. To this end, when I found myself in need of another VFX for the latest dungeon I am working on, I was pleased to find I was able to make the VFX I needed. Read on ...

FORCE FIELD VFX

So if you had not guessed from the title already, the new effect was a Force Field. I don't think I give any spoilers by mentioning it, because I have not yet decided just how "menacing" the final encounter with it shall be. Suffice to say, the effect turned out as I hoped, with the only caveat being that I had to separate the sound part of the effect from its visual effect. This was because the sound of the VFX could not be easily managed in scripting if I did not. It was going to be this week's screenshot, but as the full impact could not be easily portrayed in a soundless 2d image, I am treating readers to a small six second video link to take a look instead.


AREA BUILDING

I also managed to start building another interior area to support one of the exterior areas I am currently working on with respect to the main quest. It's one of a few interior areas I knew I was going to have to build, and as I have just updated the HAK folder for the campaign, it gave me the opportunity to check one of the yet unused tile sets: Cellars by rjshae. This week's screenshot is from that interior area in it's early design.

CONVERSATIONS

I have also started to add templates for more conversations that are needed for the mega-dungeon section I am working on. These conversations are reasonably straightforward ones, but like anything to do with the "mega" status, I simply need more to accommodate the dungeon size. And while on the subject of the mega-dungeon, I can add that I have also continued to work on its various areas too.

SCRIPTING

Thankfully, writing scripts is one of the less taxing aspects for me, which I have been able to keep reasonably well up to date as required. On the subject of scripting, I have also decided to move all scripts, including altered official campaign ones, to the root directory of the campaign folder. This is because if they are stored within their own sub-directory (like they had been), they were not checked when using the "compile all scripts" option. While this may not be an issue much of the time, there are some circumstances when missing these scripts during a compile check may have an impact in future, because I often forget what these scripts refer to. So basically, it's a precaution moving forward from v1.08E (next release) of module one. As an example, the "invisibility" scripts required recompiling after I removed a function they referred to. Thankfully, the removal made no impact to the spells at all in any past releases, but I won't be taking the same risks moving forward.

BACKSTORY & QUESTS

I have also been taking time to put together back story in my Readable Books format (*) and develop some more side quests. The latest book written has over 2 x 6 pages! It is designed to answer some of the questions the player may have been wondering about, but they can choose to read or simply skip through. Either way, the game will continue regardless of how much detail the player chooses to read ... but I hope they are encouraged enough to want to know more of the story anyway. (*) Latest version in The Scroll campaign files only.

As I have stated previously, my aim is to try to provide some side quests that will complement the main quest more naturally than in the previous module. It's more of a subtle change, but one that I hope may make gameplay feel more natural ... perhaps. They take the shape of "while you are at it" approach, as opposed to "here is something else".

The Cellar is Cold, Dark and Dank!




No comments: