Choose Your Language

Sunday 9 August 2009

Spell Alterations

A while ago I explained how I was going to change the way some spells worked because I felt they were too restrictive as they currently played. To this end, I have already altered some and intend to work my way through the rest as time goes by. Here is my list of alterations to date, but please tell me if there are any “pet peeves” about certain spells that you would like altered. If I think it will improve the spell, then I may just add it to my alterations as I go along. As a guiding factor, I often preferred the 3e PnP description to any set in the OC. Alternatively, if you think any changes I have made are too biased, then let me know and I may reconsider.

- Virtue (D4 Temp HPs & Longer duration)
- Ray of Frost (D3 Damage)
- Divine Favour (Can scale to 6)
- Endure Elements (Increase Resistance To 3 Change Amount to 0)
- Summon Creatures (Duration 1 hour per level)
- Charm Person - UPDATE: Left as OC: 12 seconds + 6 seconds / 3 Levels
- Expeditious Retreat (Duration 1 minute per level)
- Magic Missile (Missiles increased to max of 10)
- Ray of Enfeeblement (Duration 1 minute per level)
- Sleep - UPDATE: Left as OC: 18 seconds + 6 seconds / Level
- Resist Elements(Decrease Resistance To 12 Change Amount to 0)

By The Full of the Moon

For those interested in photography, I took these photos of the moon the other night and thought I would share them with you. Quite atmospheric I thought.

6 comments:

Frank Perez said...

Hey Lance, I just wanted to comment on one of your suggested spell changes. Setting Charm Person to last 1 hour per level may be overkill, especially in a computer game where it may not be possible to fast-forward the clock. In Baldur's Gate, I didn't like having to wait for the Charm Person effect on my party members to wear off. If Charm Person were to last 1 hour per level, that could translate to a very long waiting period.

Just my 2 pence.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Frank,

Excellent point about the Charm Person! I think with the time settings I have that would equate to 15 minutes game time, which as you say, would be a pain to wait for.

Thanks for the feedback. Consider that one revised ... I will add some text to show this change.

Lance.

EC said...

Still can't believe all the systems building and tweaking you're doing. It'll definitely translate into a different playing experince.

Love those moon pictures, especially the light pollution (?) that colors the clouds around it. I know it's not easy taking nice pictures of the moon.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi E.C. Patterson,

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I do like to add elements to the campaign that will make for a different experience. And if I get the type and number correct, then it should make for an interesting play. My goal is even to add more random elements to help the game play differently for different playing styles. I just hope I can bring it all together. At least now I am starting to get to the end of the "systems" section (mainly) and into the story lines.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. There is a competition at a local hall in September where I may try to enter one or two photos. Hopefully, others will find them as intersting as the likes of you and I - and maybe even win a prize. ;)

Lance.

Quillmaster said...

Nice moon shot. Reminds me of the opening scene to NWN1 :)

Got your message btw. Sorry haven't replied personally, but as you can imagine, things are a bit chaotic at the mo!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Geoff,

I may enter the moon shot into a competition and see what response it gets.

No problem about contact. :) I guessed you were busy. Give me an email about doing NWN "stuff" as soon as you are settled in your new house.

Lance.