Final Overland Map Work
In the time I was able to work on the module, I finished the overland map code and made an attempt at creating the actual map area. I say 'attempt', as my skills in this area are not good. Furthermore, I worked from an old existing PnP paper map, which as anybody who has played PnP will know, tends to be rather bland in detail compared to a NWN2 SoZ version. Consequently, my own area map does not contain as much detail as I would like to have had due to restrictions of current exisiting campaign design. Hopefully, as the story moves into areas not currently written for the campaign, I will be able to create more interesting overland maps.
All overland maps will now include:
- Correct scale maps with movement reflecting actual miles and time travelled.
- New overland map GUI to reflect terrain type, time taken and other info.
- Discoverable 'goodies' based on best in party skills. (Resources given as items.)
- Discoverable 'locations' based on best in party skills.
- Limited random encounters so as not to swamp other play. (*)
(*) There will also be an option for players who find a map to ignore overland map travel altogether if they wish to. It will be up to the player if they prefer to use quicker transfer between locations rather than explore a map. A combination of travel types is recommended so the player does not miss out on finding goodies and winning XP for their PCs that overland map exploration can bring.
For those interested, here is a snippet of the old PnP map I worked from with its CRPG conversion images in the toolset.
The Reward Poll
The 'Reward Poll' first polled on this site, continues at the Vault and now has over 1100 votes! (Scroll down the page from the link and it is in the right-hand pane.)