Choose Your Language

Thursday 5 March 2020

Episode 26: Are We There Yet?

I have to confess that I did not expect The Scroll (module 1) to have taken as many versions as it has to reach the state that I now hope it has reached ... DONE! I have said this so many times before that it is uncomfortable for me to say it again ... but ... v1.18E (2nd release) does appear to be the FINAL for module 1. Although, I confess that I may release a v1.19E (or jump to v1.20E) to mark its absolute final release, even if there are no changes from v1.18E (2nd release), just because I like to mark its place with a round number. For those of you more interested in module 2, and its latest news, read on ...

THE CRYSTAL MECHANICS

Between finalizing code for module 1 fixes, I have also been looking over the code I have in place for some new "crystal" mechanics in the next module. Much to do with balancing and ensuring certain abilities are available at the right time, as well as writing conversations that bring a player more background relating to such. That's all I can say for now though ... sorry ... it's too much of a spoiler to explain more, except to say that it plays a big part in one section of the module in a similar vein as the rune stones did in module 1, but more so!

MORE GENERAL BUILDING

I have been continuing to fill areas with interesting objects and events. However, the areas I am currently working with tie quite a bit to the new mechanics above, and so I am tending to switch between the two aspects as required. I have also hit a critical plot point of logic that is requiring me to wrestle with a number of alternative ideas, which has currently stalled my progress in this area of the story. The good news is I have a couple of approaches I think will work, but I need to consider the repercussions of these approaches fully before I commit to them. Once I am happy the logic works, I can start to write the story around it again. In the meanwhile, I am considering working on another area of the module to allow my subconscious to work on a solution too. Sometimes just letting it sit for a while like that can work for me. However, I have something to fall back on in a worse case scenario.

SETTING THE SCENE

It's fine when we have a dungeon (or area) and the player party is making their way to resolve their quest, but ... I just cannot escape the need to build more into an adventure (or any quest) for the player to discover before they embark on the adventure (or quest) itself. I don't want to rob the player of discovering their way (the journey) before dealing with the task (the destination) itself. It's true we can get away with less stage setting when delivering side-quests (to more of a degree), but even here I find I am wanting to flesh these out with more substance than I have previously. As a consequence, I have found the conversation sizes have increased, and surrounding storyline has broadened. It's not a bad thing in my thinking, but with respect to module delivery time, it does make it feel like taking one step forward, while taking two steps backwards. The price to pay for trying to create a particular scene I guess.

FEATURING THE ANKHEG

The bottom line is that there is not much I can add to the last few weeks of module building due to the various distractions of module 1 fixing and limited info I can divulge with module 2. So, rather than post a picture this week, I thought I might encourage readers by posting a video instead! It is part of module 2, and something I have posted elsewhere. However, this is the first time I posted it in this blog. Just to show I am working on various aspects still...




No comments: